Friday, August 28, 2009

Have I forgetten something (or Someone)?

As I think about preparing for a year in Uganda, I have had such questions as: "Do I pack a year's worth of shampoo?" Or, "How many flashlight bulbs should I bring?" "Do I need a new camera?" "What kind of mosquito repellent would be best?"

There are so many details to think about when planning for a trip - I am sure a lot of you can identify with me in even planning for a weekend away. But, when I think about being gone for a year, in a place where customary conveniences are, well, not so convenient - the whole process can be mind-boggling.

But, I don't want to get so caught up in the details and preparations, that I overlook or lose sight of how God wants me to really prepare - from the inside out, starting with my heart.

I have been thinking quite a bit about love lately. Over the past few weeks, I have had several streams of thought about this topic, and I will try and divert them into one flow - so bear with me.

Lately I've been listening to an audio book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. (I highly recommend it if you have a chance to read it.) When I first saw the book awhile ago, the title intrigued me. I had a sense it was about the "crazy" kind of love we should have for God. And, sure enouugh, Chan does cover this in his book. Basically he says, because we have such an awesome, majestic and holy God, He deserves all of our love and all of our lives - every part of them. He loves us with an incredible love, but we...well, we don't often reciprocate in like manner. Not that we can even love like He does, but we often give Him the "leftovers" of our lives. I know I do.

In fact, I have done it just this week and just today.

If I say I love God, then how am I showing it to Him? Does He know it by the time I spend with Him, or by the way I put Him as a priority in my life? Does He see it by the way I obey Him and extend His love to others? If you love someone, you desire, you strive to please them. Cost nor sacrifice are an issue - they are irrelevant when you truly love someone. So, if we really want to show our love for God, where do we begin? The following verses give us a clue.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you and that your may be full." - John 15:9-11
Abide: "To remain stable or fixed in a state; to continue in a place; sojourn."
I haven't been doing much abiding lately and I know that is where God wants me to be - continuing, sojourning, staying in Him.
So, I am going to take some time now and take my mind off of travel plans, shampoo, etc. and go spend some time with Someone who has been waiting for me. Is He waiting for you, too?
Love...to be continued.
P.S. I encourage you to check out http://www.crazylovebook.com/ for more about Chan's book.

2 comments:

  1. What a great challenge to me Ruthie! I really needed to hear it today. My human love can never even come close to Christ's, but yet He wants me to love Him. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lauren. God's love is indeed incredible! : )

    ReplyDelete