Monday, March 1, 2010

Counting Your Way Through the Day

For those who think I may have retired from the blogging business, let me assure you that I haven’t, but I have been “away” for a bit. : ) The pace of my work here in Uganda has picked up in the past few weeks and the days seem to be flying by. I can hardly believe it is March and I am nearing two months since my arrival.

I am becoming more and more accustomed to life here and definitely feeling at home. Sometimes I have to remind myself how blessed I am to be here, to be working where I am, with the people I am privileged to join. There are times, like this evening, when I need to stop and look around at the beauty surrounding me, in the foliage, the fauna, the sunsets, the sky and the people.

I want my experiences to remain fresh and new, like the dawning of each new day. I don’t want to take for granted the incredible privilege I have in being here. I don’t want to miss the small and large blessings that occur, on a daily basis.

Every day God showers us with His blessings, beginning with the rising of the sun at night, sustaining us through the day and closing out each day with a sunset as His closing signature. Whether you are in Uganda, in northwest Oregon, elsewhere in the U.S., or in another foreign country, there are blessings to be found. I believe as we approach God daily with a thankful heart, He will give us eyes to see His daily blessings.

Like the hymn says, “Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings, see what God has done. Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your many blessings, see what God has done.”

What blessings can you count today?

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful reminder to take in the signs of God's love that He gives us each day! You put it in such a wonderful and encouraging way! Today...I look forward to the blessing of teaching little ones (and a few not-so-little ones! :-) music and seeing the joy on their faces when they learn something new! That is always precious, and I am sure you are enjoying the little Ugandan children as well!

    ReplyDelete