Thursday, August 28, 2014

Liking the "Unlikely"


"God doesn't consider age, background, nationality...He looks at our hearts."

I fervently shared these words with my young friend, who was trying to bravely and cautiously think about her future. I knew she was doubting if and how God could use her, lead her, and bless her.

"I love the scripture in 1 Samuel that says 'man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart'."

I really think God likes the unlikely. 

He promises a long-awaited son to an elderly ancient, well-past-their-prime couple. (Abraham and Sarah)

He chooses the forgotten, smells-like-sheep little brother to be the next anointed king. (David)

He collapses an impenetrable wall - with crazy shouts and trumpet blasts. (Jericho)

He transforms an arrogant teenager into the second most powerful man in Egypt. (Joseph)

He creates an entire nation from a motley crew of 12 brothers born from a dysfunctional polygamous family. (The nation of Israel.)

He calls uneducated, rough-around-the-edges fishermen to be his first disciples. (Peter, James, John)

He almost seems to favor the very young, the very old, the poor, the despised, the overlooked, etc. (Samuel, Moses, the Samaritan woman, Zaccheus...)

Why? Because He likes the unlikely.

It is the "unlikely" who best display His radiant glory. The weaker the vessel, the greater His power is shown.

This is the message I wanted to convey to my friend this afternoon as we shared tea and sweet brown bread. She comes from a poor family, was raised in the islands, is shy and quiet, is one of the few Christians in her predominantly-Muslim home, and has struggled with many challenges over the years.

But, God loves these odds - He really does.

Don't even think there is anything you can or can't do, or that you were born with or born without, that will throw a wrench in His plans for you.

After we prayed over my friend's future and the coming steps and days that only God knows, I told her I was excited for what lies ahead. Because I really am.

I am excited because He has brought her so far already.

I am thrilled because she loves Him and wants to please Him in all she does.

I am very eager to see her unfolding story.

I am confident that the One who began His good work in her will continue and complete it. (Phil. 1:6)

The Author God loves writing in interesting twists and surprise endings, doing above and beyond what we can even ask or think. He's awesome like that.

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen." - Ephesians 3:20-21

P.S. Please be praying for my friend, Fauza, that she would continue to trust and believe in the God who has good plans for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment