Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Goodbye Mississippi, Hello Pennsylvania!


I can hardly believe my week of missions training is over - it just seemed to fly by!! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting my fellow missionaries and the Global staff family. I also appreciated the great sessions, as there was a good balance of Biblical teaching and practical instruction. I have my marching orders now, so will be kept busy in the weeks and months ahead. : )

The training concluded Friday mid-day with a final challenge from longtime Haiti missionary David Heady. I so appreciated his message that we are not to get caught up in going out and doing good works. Not that good words are bad, but they should not be our focus. Instead our priority is to be in intimacy with Jesus. Our fellowship with Him will enrich and extend our ministry. I believe this is true, whether we are serving at home or on foreign soil. As Mr. Heady reminded us, without Jesus we can do nothing. After this final challenge, several Global missionaries and staff prayed for each of us missionaries. The tears flowed as I felt God's presence when these godly men and women prayed for me. It was a very good conclusion to a great week.


Holding my "Certificate of Participation." Notice the Ugandan flag in the background. : )

I flew out of Tupelo, Miss. early Saturday morning and had layovers in Memphis, Tenn. and Cincinnati, Ohio. As I sat in Memphis, waiting for my next flight, I thought how interesting it would be if I saw someone I knew. Of course, I don't know anyone in Memphis, nor knew of anyone traveling through there. However, maybe 15 minutes later, I looked up from my seat in the airport and saw Sheri Martin, an old friend, down the row. Wow - only God could do that! Sheri and I knew each other in Oregon, but hadn't seen much of each other over the last few years since she moved to Florida to go to school. Sheri and I chatted and caught up in the time before we boarded. It turns out we were both on the same plane, bound for Cincinnati. That was truly a divine appointment! I personally was blessed by God bringing me that special blessing and reminding me that He works in mysterious ways. : )

I arrived in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Saturday afternoon and have been enjoying my time with my special sister. Leah is such a great hostess that I am getting spoiled! I am so very thankful for this time to spend with my best friend. : )

Well, I need to run! I hope you are all doing well. :)

With my dear sister Leah

3 comments:

  1. Wow--that is quite amazing to run into Sheri at the airport! I haven't seen her in a year, probably, so it's good to hear she's still around! I love the picture of you and Leah!
    I can't even imagine how hard it must be to live so far apart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the pictures...but no pictures of you and Sheri? :( How can you prove that you saw her, then? ;)
    Congratulations on finishing the class; it sounds like it was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was incredible seeing Sheri in the airport. I marveled that God put it all together - it was a blessing to me. : ) Lauren, glad you liked the photo of Leah and I - we enjoyed a "photo shoot" after church on Sunday. : ) Yes, it is hard to live so far apart - I pray that someday we can live near each other again, especially when we begin our own families.
    Actually, Mikaela, Sheri asked if I had a camera so we did take a couple of shots when we reached Ohio, but I didn't look so well, though Sheri looked good. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. : )
    Thanks for the congratulations, too.
    Hope you gals have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete