Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beyond Me

"When David kept his eyes on the giant, he stumbled. But, when he kept his eyes on God, he was victorious."

This was evidenced throughout David's life. There were many times when he faced an opponent or obstacle far greater than his strength, his skills, his wit or his experience. Yet, over and over again, as he lifted his eyes to God, he found that victory was there, within his grasp.

I heard this wisdom earlier this week on a podcast and thought it went along well with something that has been on my heart and mind. As I think and make plans for Uganda, it is so easy for me to become overwhelmed. There seems to be a lot to do, and some of it pushes me far out of my comfort zone. : )

I just finished putting together a contact list. Global Outreach asked for a minimum of 200 names. In my mind, this seemed nearly impossible since I come from two small churches and a small town. But, I was thrilled earlier this week as I sat with my family and God seemed to generate names out of thin air. While this may seem small to some of you, it was such a blessing to me to see God provide in this way.

I am beginning to come to a greater and greater realization that this trip is beyond me. I don't have the faith, the skills, the funds, the love, the courage, the experience, etc. It is simply beyond me. Which is why it must be all of God. I believe that if He has called me, He will provide everything that is needed - even the names. : )

Today's selection in "Streams in the Desert" was so very good.

"'Is anything too hard for the Lord? (Genesis 18:14)'

"This is God's loving challenge to you and me each day. He wants us to think of the deepest, highest, and worthiest desires and longings of our hearts. He wants us to think of those things that perhaps were desires for ourselves or someone dear to us, yet have gone unfulfilled for so long that we now see them as simply lost desires. And God urges us to think of even the one thing that we once saw as possible but have given up all hope of seeing fulfilled in this life.

"That very thing, as long as it aligns with what we know be His expressed will - as a son was to Abraham and Sarah - God intends to do for us. Yes, if we will let Him, God will do that very thing, even if we know it is such an utter impossibility that we would simply laugh at the absurdity of anyone ever suggesting it could come to pass.

"'Is anything too hard for the Lord?' No, nothing is too difficult when we believe in Him enough to go forward, doing His will and letting Him do the impossible for us. Even Abraham and Sarah could have blocked God's plan if they had continued to disbelieve.

"The only thing 'too hard for the Lord' is our deliberate and continual disbelief in his love and power, and our ultimate rejection of His plans for us. Nothing is impossible for Jehovah to do for those who trust Him. from Messages for the Morning Watch"
So, is there anything too hard for the Lord in your life? I think you would have to join with me in saying, "No, there is nothing too hard for the Lord."

3 comments:

  1. How comforting that nothing is too hard for Him! We just had the privilege of watching "Faith Like Potatoes", which I loved. (I remember us talking about that awhile ago!) And, wow, how I learned that same lesson while watching the movie. From football stadiums to potatoes without rain to broken dreams--God sure can do it all!
    Thanks Ruthie for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and you're welcome, Lauren. : )
    Yes, "Faith Like Potatoes" is an excellent movie! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I need to watch it again. : )
    Amen! God certainly can do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Ruthie!! Don't ever forget that (especially when things are hard). He "is" faithful and He never changes!! We talked about that today at Ladies Bible Study. Karen and I both shared how God miraculously delivered her from drugs and me from alcoholism!! Took it away - just like that - bam!! (Is there anything He "can't" do?!!) No - I think NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete