Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Upheld Hands


(I sent this out today as my e-mail update, so I am sorry if you already read it. If you would like to receive my e-mail updates, drop me a line at reporterruthie@yahoo.com.)

“Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses’ hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. And Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the sword.” – Exodus 17:11-13

What an interesting method to wage a war. When Moses’ hands were up, the Israelite army prevailed, but when they fell, the opposing country gained an upper hand, so to speak. And when Moses became tired, Aaron and Hur sat on either side of him, to hold up his hands. And by the end of the day, God’s people had won.

This passage of scripture came to mind the other day as I thought about returning to Uganda and the many people who have been so supportive, both while I have been in Uganda and at home.

My furlough was great and I was blessed to spend quality time with my family, friends, church family and many others. Thank you to all who blessed me while in the states! I was so refreshed and encouraged by your expressions of love, care and support. I was also excited to share about Uganda and what God is doing there with several churches and anyone who wanted to listen. : )

Tomorrow my sister Leah will drive me from Pennsylvania, where I have been visiting her for a few days, to Newark, N.J. to catch my flight to Uganda. I arrive in Uganda about 10:15 p.m. Friday or about noon Pacific time. : )

I am excited to return and see my SHIM family there, as well as friends and others I have missed for 3+ months. I am excited for the next season that God has planned, both in my life and in the ministry on the islands. I am excited to try some new things that God has put on my heart.

Ministry is about teamwork as evidenced in the Biblical story above. We need each other, that is how God designed it. He used the illustration of the body for a reason - we are all connected, we depend on one another, we function better together, and we are united under Jesus – the Head.

We need to hold up one another’s hands as we fight the battle to spread God’s light and truth. I need you and you need me.

Thank you to each of you who have held up my hands by your financial support, your faithful prayers, your words of encouragement and other forms of love. I want to do the same for you, so please feel free to continue sharing your life with me so I can uphold you, too.

Someday the battle will be won and we will celebrate together forever. Yay! Won’t that be great?!

May God bless each of you wherever you may be serving Him. Your continued prayers are much appreciated as I travel in the next couple of days. I look forward to staying in touch – from Uganda!

“Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into Him who is the head, in to Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.” – Ephesians 4:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment