Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lessons from Lily

 Lilias Trotter - Missionary to Algeria, North Africa

 Yesterday's quiet afternoon afforded me the chance to return to a book I had brought with me to Uganda, but had devoted little time to since arriving. And, I am so glad I resumed "A Passion for the Impossible," an autobiography of Lilias Trotter (1853-1928).

  Lilias, also known as Lily, was a talented writer and artist, but rather than pursue a potentially promising career in those fields, she instead answered the call to bring Christ to Algeria in northern Africa. The extensive autobiography is drawn primarily from her detailed diaries and journals which she kept before going to Africa ad during her many years there. Incidentally, Lily was a friend and contemporary of Amy Carmichael, another remarkable woman who devoted her life to God's work in India.

 The following are a few selections from Lily's diaries and journals that particularly blessed me.

 "The things that are impossible with men are possible with God. May it not be that the human impossibility is just the very thing that sets His Hand free? - & that it is the things which are possible for us to do that He is in a measure to let alone."
- From Lilias' Diary, 22 May 1899

"How the angels must watch the first day when that light reaches a new spot on this earth that God so loves - and the great wall of darkness is pushed back one tiny bit - and oh the joy of being allowed to go with His message that first day. How can His people hold back from that joy while one corner remains unvisited by the Dayspring!"
- March 1895

"Other workers may come later; meanwhile we can be loving them and praying for them (the people of Algeria). I have been thinking lately what a work for God it is, just loving people. He says in Deut. 22: 'If an ox or an ass has gone astray, thou shalt bring it unto thine own house, and it shall be with thee till thy brother seek after it.' I think He gives us sometimes a like service for souls - wandering souls that we cannot bring back to Him; sometimes all we can do is to keep them near us, and show the kindness of God to them, and hold them in faith and prayer till He comes to seek them."
- 25 April 1891

Photo Source: http://www.dhp.org/passion/images/trotterportrait.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of Lilias before, but am quite fascinated! I love the idea of reading great Christians' journals and such, so I enjoyed reading your snippets (although I have a feeling she wrote that second quote in 1895 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I am glad I was able to "introduce" you to Lilias - she seemed quite a remarkable woman. I have been so encouraged by her life, faith and ministry.
    And, thanks for catching the boo-boo, too. : )

    ReplyDelete