Friday, June 11, 2010

Quenching a Thirsty Soul



~ Bujagali Falls, near Jinja, Uganda ~

Yesterday was so hot. I put my thermometer outside around 4 p.m. and within a little bit, it was registering 110 degrees Fahreneheit! I knew it felt hot, but phew that is a bit warm - and it wasn't even the peak of the day!

 Aside from the hot, dry weather, my soul has been feeling a bit parched lately. But, I have been finding some much-needed refreshment in one of my favorite devotionals, "Streams in the Desert." I just wanted to share a few quotes from some passages I have been reading of late.

 "Do the most everyday and insignificant tasks knowing that God can see. If you live with difficult people, win them over through love. If you once made a great mistake in your life, do not allow it to cloud the rest of your life, but by locking it secretly in your heart, make it yield strength and character. We are doing more good than we know. The things we do today - sowing seeds or sharing simple truths of Christ - people will someday refer to as the first things that prompted them to think of Him." - George Matheson (Streams in the Desert, pg. 87)

 "Active faith gives thanks for a promise even though it is not yet performed, knowing that God's contracts are as good as cash." - Matthew Henry (Streams in the Desert, pg. 85)

 "Faith adds its 'Amen' to God's 'Yes" and then takes its hands off, leaving God to finish His work. The language of faith is, 'Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this' (Psalm 37:5)." - From Days of Heaven Upon Earth (Streams in the Desert, pg. 84)

 "We are able to have as much of God as we want. Christ puts the key to His treasure chest in our hands and invites us to take all we desire. If someone is allowed into a bank vault, told to help himself to the money, and leaves without one cent, whose fault is it if he remains poor? And whose fault is is that Christians usually have such meager portions of the free riches of God?" - Alexander Maclaren (Streams in the Desert, pg. 83)

P.S. An interesting fact - Where I am in Uganda, it is often the hottest right before a rainstorm. : )

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! I love the new blog design! (-:
    I'll also take this opportuniy to share that we have been very rainy here and haven't even had an 80 degree day yet this year!(-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, you are so welcome. I am glad you like the new design, too - I thought we needed a change. : )
    I have heard that you poor Northwest folks have been enduring much rain. I so wish we could trade some sunshine for some rain - we need some! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete